[PD] playback noise with video

Oded Ben-Tal oded at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Fri Aug 31 17:00:27 CEST 2007

I am getting noise and disruption to audio stream when I am using gem's
pix_movie object. The noise happens only when I 'run' the movie. most of
the time its in 'freeze frame' mode with some movement of the graphic
objects (translation, rotation) and that works fine with the audio. But
when Gem needs to play the movie I get audio problems.

I am running it on a brand new G5 mac with 4gb RAM, and dual processor,
which I thought should be enough processing power to run smoothly.

Any ideas about ways of reducing this problem? I am trying to use
dufferent encoders for the quicktime movie and, I think, some are worse
than others, but I don't know enough about the differences to make any
inform decisions. Anyone knows more about how Gem handles movies?
Is it possible to set the system priorities on OSX to give audio higher
priority?
Any other ideas?

thanks
Oded