[PD] multiple tracks

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Sat Sep 1 19:45:15 CEST 2007

hi berio

assuming you are talking about audio tracks, it depends on what you are
planning to do.

if you want to play several tracks synchronously, i'd create one big
multitrack wavefile, that is played by one [readsf~
<numbner_of_tracks>]. this has two advantages:
- it doesn't require that much patching
- it won't access your harddisk randomly in order to read several files
synchronously, but it will read all tracks in go (this  might increase
your maximum bandwidth)

if all tracks are quite short, you might want to load them into tables
first. reading from tables has the advantage, that you are reading from
RAM, which is very fast (as long as it is really read from RAM and not
from swapfs). beware that you might need more ram than the sum of the
filesizes of your wavefiles (in pd everything is stored as 32bit-floats,
no matter what the source format of your file is).

if you want to play huge files (>2min) asynchronously, then you might
have to use a [readsf~] for each track. i never tested it myself, but i
am not quite sure, if it is possible to play 50 streams from the disk at
the same time without clicks, but check it out. it might work.

cheers
roman