[PD] playback noise with video

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun Sep 2 17:17:15 CEST 2007

Hallo,
Kevin McCoy hat gesagt: // Kevin McCoy wrote:

> > the solution is to use 2 instances of pd:
> > pd -noaudio for gem.
> > pd -rt for audio.
> >
> > for communication between audio & video i used netsend / netreceive or you
> > can use OSC.
>

> Wow, that sounds like a major irritation.  How about increasing the buffer
> size of the audio?  I don't know if that helps or would be at an acceptable
> level for live work...

This also is possible, however if your desire is syncing audio and
video rather tightly, large audio buffers won't cut it: Because there
is no (easy) way to delay the visuals, things will be out of sync.
I've been there. ;( For my latest Gem/audio works I run two Pds again,
one for all audio generation, sequencing and the physics, the other
only does Gem: It gets netsent the coordinates of geoms to render.

I don't do this yet in my older set as performed in Montreal, but the
"faltig" patch runs with a risky low audio buffer, which sometimes
gives dropouts. I just keep my fingers crossed all the time. ;)

Ciao