[PD] derivative?

Oded Ben-Tal oded at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Tue Sep 4 10:31:34 CEST 2007

DPCM is Differential pulse code modulation, and its possible to get an
estimate of derivative with the right predictor. While the difference
between the last two messages is an approximation of the derivative its is
a really bad one so extrapulating on 4-points is much better. (dsp theory
is really not my area but I'm sure some people will be able to explain
much better about dpcm)
  What I'm looking for is a way to:
(1) store the last 3 values in the series.
(2) an estimate of the derivative should be
  x0 - 1/2 * x1 - 1/4 * x2 -1/4 * x3 (where x0 is the most recent element)
(3) switch places so the x0->x1 x1->x2 x2->x3 ready to do it again.

I'll try looking at list-abs (I think I tried poking around those on my
office mac but pd-extended couldn't find them so I left it at that).

thanks