[PD] new external: closemsg

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Sep 4 20:52:53 CEST 2007

On Mon, 3 Sep 2007, Thomas O Fredericks wrote:

> Then what should I call it?
> "freesend" or "destroysend" or "destructorsend"

i don't know, there isn't a standard word for that at the pd level... at
the C level, Pd internals call it "free". however, those "free" callbacks
don't free the structure itself, they're more like a C++ destructor. In
C++, you call operator delete, which calls the destructor and then call
the equivalent of free(). So in a sense, "destroysend" or "destructorsend"
would be better.

> "On top of this, it gets triggered in the
> middle of deleting a patch, which means you can't rely on the patch being
> complete and you can't rely on the patch being empty either. "
>
> This is not an issue with this external as it is made to annonce to another
> patch that the current patch is being deleted.

You are doing what is perhaps the best thing that can be done without
modifying pd itself, but I'd rather have [closebang], perhaps named
differently.