[PD] Do [singleton]s get loadbangs?

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Sep 5 11:08:45 CEST 2007

On Mon, 3 Sep 2007, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> It's possible to trigger the loadbang manually with a message to the
> subpatch, the objects are created in. For singleton.pd this subpatch's
> receiver is is pd-$0-container. Attached is a version of singleton which
> automatically sends a loadbang message to it. After I get over my
> jetlag, I'll consider making this the default in sssad's version of
> singleton.pd as well.

I think that this is a good idea. Loadbang should be called whenever an
object is finished being connected/installed in the context where it is
supposed to be. In some dynamic patching contexts this is not necessarily
obvious, so the responsibility of calling loadbang is on the patch that
does the dynamic patching. Sometimes it's still not obvious when should
loadbang happen, but singleton is easy enough to figure out, and in
general, every patch performing dynamic patching should call loadbang on
any new objects, though it's possible that pd doesn't have the
infrastructure to allow doing this in general in an easy way (?).