[PD] select backward compatibility

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Sep 5 15:09:15 CEST 2007

Hallo,
Patrice Colet hat gesagt: // Patrice Colet wrote:

>  Hello, I've updated on some computer pd-0.37 to 0.40, and passed a lot
> of time to find out an error caused by [select], attached is the mistake
>  I've found out in my old, huge, and ugly patch.
>  With simple words, could you people make something with error messages
> to not wasting hours of debbugging,
> many thanks in advance for any effort in that way, :).

You can only sent a float to the right inlet of a [select] initialized
in float-mode ([select]s, that don't have a symbol as argument, are in
float-mode). Sending a bang into the second inlet instead is an error.
I admit that it's a bit strange, that a naked "bang" message gives a
different error message (no method for "bang") than a bang sent
through [t a] (no method for "list"), but otherwise the error message
here is quite clear, isn't it? Empty lists are equivalent to bang.

Ciao