[PD] my first extension, FINISHED

Atte André Jensen atte.jensen at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 15:27:03 CEST 2007

Frank Barknecht wrote:

>> I managed to finish my first extension (even while I haven't got a clue
>> what pd is up to:-)).
>
> We call these things "externals" around here. ;)

I told you I was a newbie :-)

> It doesn't seem to do this all the time. With some wild clicking on
> attached patch I can make it send a "0" to the first inlet as well,
> although no note 0 was ever sent. If it's in that state, also no
> velocity output is generate anymore.

Hmmm. It seems it got confused when receiving a noteon for a note that
was already on (so without the acompanying noteoff inbetween), something
that's quite difficult to pull off with a midi keyboard. I think it
handles it a little bit smarter now. Could you please run your test
again, as I'm not exactly sure if I'm just lucky here?

> One thing that IMO should accompany every Pd external is a help patch.
> Just make a file NAMEOFEXTERNAL-help.pd (legato-help.pd) that shows
> and explains what your object does, what the inlets accept and what
> the outlets will produce. Ideally you'd make a little example of the
> object in use as well. help-patches are a good way to test objects as
> well.

Ok, I changed your's a bit. Is that sufficient? Would one normally keep
all documentation in the .pd file, or is a README.txt sometimes used?

> I didn't need to edit the Makefile at all on Linux, however I did
> change #include "m_pd.h" to #include <m_pd.h> (see another thread
> here). If m_pd.h is in a system include path, all the PDROOT stuff is
> unnecessary to build the class.

Ok, changed it to #include <m_pd.h> in makefile

>> 2) It doesn't like to receive a bang <snip>

> That's okay: If an object is not supposed to deal with "bang" than
> that's how that object is supposed to be and printing the
> error/warning to the console is fine.

Ok

>> 4) Should I put it up somewhere, for instance on my servers svn-repo?

> puredata.info would be a good place as well. Or I would volunteer to
> add it to the Sourceforge-CVS.

For now it's here (the "s" at the end, is a sign of optimism):
svn co svn://atte.dk/attes-pd-externals

--
peace, love & harmony
Atte