[PD] Why in Brasil and how? (was: next conv in Brasil... meaning business)

PORRES mentalosmosis at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 5 21:18:06 CEST 2007

> I think that the Montreal Pd Convention did a good job of
> being a community event while still having a academic
> segment.  I think this is the best model for the Pd
> Convention.  I think that a day of a barcamp would be
> really good too.

Sure, what amazed me is that it seemed there were several parallel events going on... (workshops, papers, round tables... concerts, etc...) for every taste or interest!

Usually (at least here in Brasil for instance) the schedule is organized in a way that the events occur not simultaneously, or the events focus on one segment.

I dont know how things happened in the first convention (you guys can tell me though), but I do believe we could do something multidimensional here as well...  with barcamps too... sure...

> I think that "brazilian PD community" still very immature
> as a independent group.

Now, I dont think the main goal here is to place the event in some sort of "puredata makkah"... in fact, I see the event as an opportunity to raise the attention to puredata development in Brasil, which is then a great goal of the convention. Otherwise, the event woul be stuck forever in Barcelona, Austria or Canada... not very productive... I do think the idea is to take it to several places... no matter how mature is the thing over there...

By the way... I see here in Brasil a particular academic interest in open source development (linux, etc), and pd is getting a ride on this trend... I cannot point this out for sure... but I believe that we have here a bigger potential and interest on puredata development than in other academic first world centers. The basic reason behind it is simple: "Money" ... and it means that, in some places with no funding issues, they do adopt max or whatever other tool such as matlab... whatever they see as most robust for the objective (but paid for)...

So more than by philosophy, which bases the usage of open source in places where you can adopt it by choice, I see we have here a "need" and no reason ($$$) to choose else that comes before the philosophy of open source. Nevertheless, such philosophy is increasing and getting quite huge, being Brasil a huge country.

----
> I REALLY respect all the guys that develep PD, but I don't want to

> suport any show business. I'd prefer to host you
> in __my home__ than any University (with all
> respect to intitutions that could support this)

>> what do you mean with show business? tv shows?
I dont know either. But, sincerity for sincerity, I dont like to see this event (apart from its philosophical issues) as some sort of battlefield between fundamentalists ...

Being in the event just now, I didnt feel prejudice in the air at all... (a guy in Miller Puckete's group was using macintosh and Max for christ' s sake) So I see that the event is over this minor details by being in fact OPEN MINDED... Open also for the most diverse as possible as the production related to pd can be... a libertarian event in the best sense and mature enough to consider ad focus on more important issues. (correct me if I am wrong).

By being no fundamentalist at all... I really enjoyed the event, I am no hardcore user or developer, but I was there showing my work I did with pd, and I met people that was interested on what I was doing and I was able to share it with them. Simple as that...

I just came out of a Computer Music Simposyum here (and as I said) people are developing objects, libraries, and choosing pd over whatever because it is free, I have no doubt that there are great work to be shown by "brasileiros" people.

The only issue is just how to raise money to bring the event here... renting equipment for concerts, theaters, space for workshops with computers and internet, give a reasonable amount of money so people can come here from throughout the world... the old same old thing...

I hope to give some feedback on it soon... as I've been saying, there is some goverment interest on supporting this, in Sao Paulo there are more options with places like "Itau Cultural", "Sesc", and also the state universities (music departments and computer departments) that are connected to some funding agencies such as FAPESP and CNPq.

The thing about receive some funding help from foundations in Canada is super :)

The step now is to gather the people who use puredata here.... do some talk on it... arrange some local events, maybe next year, and prepare for an international one...

wow, look at the time... gotta go...
cheers

alexandre torres porres

Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at eds.org> wrote:

I think that the Montreal Pd Convention did a good job of being a community event while still having a academic segment.  I think this is the best model for the Pd Convention.  I think that a day of a barcamp would be really good too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barcamp

.hc