[PD] select backward compatibility

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Sep 6 07:12:34 CEST 2007

On Thu, 6 Sep 2007, Roman Haefeli wrote:

> have you already tried this:
> [list(
> |
> [print]
> pd-window says: 'print: bang' . i admit, i didn't know that before, but
> it seems somehow consistent, that an empty list is equal to 'bang'. do
> you know a case, where it is handled differently?

GridFlow only register a anything-method and uses the exact information
from it without any equivocations whatsoever. So, [bang( is [bang( and
[list( is [list( and [float 42( is a float and [list 42( is a list,
that's all. It's not consistent with pd but then GridFlow was not designed
to be consistent with pd... pd support was an afterthought. There's still
an essential feature that depends on float/list distinctions and that I
sometimes use in my patches.

The thing is, Pd gives the opportunity to every object class, of
introducing that kind of inconsistency, and it's the responsibility of
every external to spend several lines of code in every possible situation
to make sure that it is following pd's equivocations, because pd is not
doing that job for anyone.