[PD] Rotary controllers in PD?

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun Sep 9 12:52:54 CEST 2007

Hallo,
Ken Restivo hat gesagt: // Ken Restivo wrote:

> 	2's complement from 64/Relative (Binary Offset)
> 	2's Complement from 0 / relative (2's Complement)
> 	Sign Magnitude / Relative (Signed Bit)
> 	Sign Magnitude / Relative (Signed Bit 2)
> 	Single Value Increment/Decrement

What does "Single Value Increment/Decrement" do? Sounds interesting as
well and may save some work.

> 	RPN Increment/Decrement Message
> 	NRPN Increment/Decrement Message
>
> I tried each of these and peeked at the MIDI stream to see what they do, and also at the output of PD's ctlin to see what might emerge. The "sign magnitude" and "2's complement" ones look pretty promising: they indicate which direction (up/down) and how fast you spin the thing.

Assuming you get -1 and 1 for down and up and any positive number for
speed, you can multiply both numbers to get a stream of single
numbers. Then you just accumulate these numbers using the standard
accumulator idiom:

 [+ ]x[f ]

 [0\

(See the counting.pd tutorial that I posted on this list several times
for details.)

> Now, to turn those numbers into a float between -1 and 0 that I can
> use for controlling various parameters in PD.

I don't think this makes sense: What should 0 and -1 indicate? The
rotary controller doesn't have any left and right borders that could
be mapped to be -1 and 0. And I also don't think, mapping -1 to min
and 0 to max speed makes sense either.

Ciao