[PD] polyWaveSynth issue

Phil Stone pkstone at ucdavis.edu
Sun Sep 9 20:54:30 CEST 2007

Kyle Klipowicz wrote:
> Phil~
>
> I don't think it would cause problems if you keep them in a
> subdirectory and addressed the abstractions with abs/foobar.pd type
> naming.

OK, I think it's starting to sink in.  I can keep private "abstraction
libraries" inside my abstraction.  Another advantage to this is that I
can control the versioning of these libraries -- only updating them when
I know they don't break [polyWaveSynth].

(Man, I wish the whole PD namespace thing weren't such a ball of
confusion, to me at least.  I guess it's a natural consequence of the
organic growth of PD, though.)

> Does Pd search the patch's folder first for all non-native
> objects before parsing the path?

I was wondering that same thing.  If not, this method wouldn't work very
consistently.

> Also, this will all become resolved
> once Pd-extended moves forward to including more recent abstractions
> in its releases (i.e. Pd-extended-0.40 or however it will be branded).

Yes.  (Hans? Frank?) please add sssad and polypoly to Pd-extended!

> Until then, we just can't really expect the same crowd that
> Pd-extended is marketed for to know much about cvs and setting up the
> paths and stuff. It's better to take the high road and avoid elitist
> isolationism and make things easy as possible for new users to dive
> into: Pd needs adherents to thrive and become a serious competitor of
> similar commercial options.

Agreed.  I just want to make sure I don't screw up the user's namespace,
though.  That sort of thing will lose adherents in a hurry.  :-)

> I think that this object will be a great selling point for new Pd
> users, especially because of the polyphony. Polyphony management is
> one of the most annoying things for new (and more seasoned) users to
> deal with in Pd. Your synth (combined w/ Frank's freaking awesome
> abstractions) has a great possibility for becoming a template for many
> awesome modifications and enhancements down the line.

What a nice thing to hear!   Thanks, Kyle.

Phil