[PD] representning classes and selectors in the wiki

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Sep 12 17:17:58 CEST 2007

marius schebella wrote:

> how stable is the library structure? if it is stable over several years,
> then it could be arbitrary. but some objects jump around. from zexy to
> iem (mtx?), from iemlib1 to iemlib (don't know if that is really the
> case...) from iemlib to puredata core (gui)... from everywhere to
> "flatspace".

wow:
zexy had the matrix objects for several years (they first appeared
therein in 2001; and they vanished by 2005)
iemmatrix has the matrix objects for several years too (2005-today)

iemlib consists of 3 binary libraries (iemlib1, iemlib2, iem_t3) and a
collection of abstractions; this has not changed since i know this
library (which is quite some time)
i don't know which object has moved from the sub-package "iemlib1" to
the meta-package "iemlib". i thought this would be impossible, given the
structure of the iemlib.

let us not be troubled by repackaging of objects.

all in all, if the system cannot handle renames, we should dump it
immediately

but then, wikipedia does handle renames, e.g.:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puredata
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pure_Data

> why not keep a flat structure:

because we could at the same time put library and object information
into the same database?
.../pdp => doc on the pdp lib
.../pdp/pdp_qt => doc on a certain object.

> the title of the page does not represent the real name of the object
> anyway. wiki does not support titles/pages starting with lowercase
> letters. that means the real object name will be shown at some place
> inside the page content. therefore we can call the page counter(markex)
> which will show up as:
> http://pdpedia.at.or.at/test/index.php/Counter_%28markex%29
> or counter.maxlib. or maxlib.counter.

what exactly is the difference between maxlib.counter and maxlib/counter?

can mediawiki handle both?

> only information. therefor if structure helps the understanding like
> (math/plus) then structure is good. but as I said before structure for
> categories is not really possible, so better no structure...

my only argument is: the grouping structure of objects is the one the
original author has made explicit by grouping them together in a library.

> it is not related to structure, but to the possibilities for searching

right

> and displaying objects and libraries. and to page design.

well, even though in times of phishing i daresay that few people will
actually look at the link.
and the page need not reflect the link anyhow.
(i guess that the page "/maxlib/counter" will display "counter" as title)

>> the important thing is to have a good search engine!
>
> that was the reason why I did not want to go for the wiki at first. but
> the wiki has more advantages on other points.

hmm, the wiki search engine does a full text search and you can specify
multiword queries.
this should pretty much do... (at least i got quite used to getting
multiple hits when i google :-))
what else do you want to find?

mfga.sdr
IOhannes