[PD] "object" or "class" in pdpedia

martin.peach at sympatico.ca martin.peach at sympatico.ca
Wed Sep 12 21:19:09 CEST 2007

Class is what pd calls objects internally.
For example here is the setup routine for the unpackOSC object:

void unpackOSC_setup(void)
{
    unpackOSC_class = class_new(gensym("unpackOSC"),
        (t_newmethod)unpackOSC_new, (t_method)unpackOSC_free,
        sizeof(t_unpackOSC), 0, 0);
    class_addlist(unpackOSC_class, (t_method)unpackOSC_list);
}

I think of the ideal thing as a 'class' and its instances in a patch as 'objects'. The object receives 'messages' that the class handles using 'methods'.

Martin