[PD] "object" or "class" in pdpedia

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Sep 13 10:56:28 CEST 2007

marius schebella wrote:
> what you say make sense, it is just not true for Pd. in object oriented
> programming (and maybe other programming too) the instantiation of a
> "class" is called object. but referring to the miller's pd documentation
> (html) there are no classes, and he calls classes "objects".
> '"reference" patches, one for each kind of object in Pd'.

stupid me, be here he speaks about "king of object" which (for me)
describes an abstraction (not in the .pd sense) of the actual "object".
there is a name for this platonic ideal of "object": "class"

apart from that, i do not see a necessity to use either of these terms.
why can't we just use
"/bang" for the class (or however you want to call it).

if someone sees the urge for having selectors in the wiki (which i
don't, but that is just me), this one could be called "bang_(selector)"
and i am not so sure whether we need a disambiguation page for the both,
and if we do, why not call it "bang_(disambiguation)"?

mfa.r
IOhannes