[PD] my first extension, FINISHED

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Thu Sep 13 17:17:28 CEST 2007

On Wed, Sep 12, 2007 at 08:10:42AM +0200, Atte André Jensen wrote:
> Chris McCormick wrote:
> >In this particular case of Andre's legato object,
>
> The name is Atte :-)

My apologies, how rude of me!

> >I see no positive
> >reason whatsoever for it being an external. I see several positive
> >reasons for it being an abstraction:
>
> I made it because I needed it and I couldn't find a similar functionality.
>
> The reason I made it as an external was:
>
> 1) Being new to PD I simply couldn't figure out how to do it as an
> abstraction. All the little logics involved made me feel like building a
> ship in a bottle with PD. In C (or any full blown language), it's quite
> easy.
>
> 2) I wanted to try my hands on an external.

Excellent points, and as some others have pointed out there are other
very good reasons to use Pd as the 'glue' to tie your home-brew externals
together.

My comment comes from the point of view of someone who got tired of
compiling long ago and wishes that everything was just Pd-patches so I
could re-use, and hack away without ever having to type 'make' or 'gcc'
on the command line. Basically laziness and hubris are my motivation! (And
I type 'make' and 'gcc' often enough in my day job to be really really
bored of it by the time I want to relax and write some music).

> But I'm looking forward to seeing your implementation as an abstraction,
> it will help me understand PD more!

That might be a long time coming given the abundance of laziness and
hubris around here. ;)

Best,

Chris.