[PD] "object" or "class" in pdpedia

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Sep 13 18:49:59 CEST 2007

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> This is a "me too"-message from me: For the same reasons as Thomas I'd
> prefer to stick with "object". While "class" is more correct, I think
> the difference is something only computer scientists are interested in

Until they use abstractions with sends/receives and they hit the problem
that they want to separate one instance from another. Then you have to
teach $0 and you have to teach the difference.

> and Pd has a tradition of not always following the path of mainstream
> computer science anyway, because it's not a tool mainly targetting
> computer scientists but one targetting artists.

and so what? it's still programming. It's still targeted at people who do
programming by their very act of using pd. A programmer is someone who
programs.