[PD] pd-ext 39-2 rc4 (deb package) crashing with gop editing

Alicia Byer aliciabyer at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 03:28:38 CEST 2007

Hey,

Does the bug happen in Miller's 0.39.2?  Or Pd-extended 0.40.2?
Don't worry about being verbose with bug reports, too much info is
far better than too little.

.hc

On Jul 8, 2007, at 3:21 PM, Kevin McCoy wrote:

> I am so sorry, I have sort of misreported here.. I have narrowed it
> down now.  Seems that it's a particular gop I have that is causing the
> crash.  Within that gop, what is causing the crash is yves' playlist
> object having a message box attached to it.
>
> I have attached a stripped down version of the gop to demonstrate the
> error.  It seems that what causes the error, at least for me, is
> having any kind of message box connected to the [playlist] object,
> then closing the patch and saying yes to discarding the changes.  I
> have attached the example.  In its current state it will not crash pd
> after you create it and close the window.  Connect any of the message
> boxes or the toggle, save it, create it again and it will give you the
> crash when you close the window - at least it does for me.  I should
> also note that it only happens when this is a gop.  I tried connecting
> a message box to a playlist object in a normal patch and it didn't
> crash when I closed it and discarded changes.
>
> This is a weird bug.  As for the logic on why this crashes I have no
> idea.  Please let me know if there are any log files I can check to
> clarify this for you.  In miller's 0.40, the crash doesn't happen at
> all with the gop abstraction.
>
> I am sorry to take two emails to get this right (twice really because
> my last bug rept about vectral~ needed clarification as well).  From
> here on I will think twice or thrice and hone my deductive reasoning
> before posting about bugs.
>
> Kevin
>

> On 7/8/07, Kevin McCoy <km.takewithyou at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Hans,
>>
>> I think that this version is crashing when I edit a patch that uses
>> gops, and then close the window - it asks if I want to discard the
>> changes, and I click yes, then it closes out pd entirely.  This only
>> appears to happen when the main patch involves gops - not when it's
>> just regular objects I think.  I don't think I noticed this with
>> rc3 -
>> did you ever answer my last question (sorry if it didn't get through
>> to you) which was whether this debian packaged rc4 included code
>> updates over rc3 or whether it is rc4 by virtue of being a deb
>> package
>> alone?
>>
>> The package is totally sweet, it integrates so much more nicely in
>> the
>> system, but I am restarting pd a lot these days because of this
>> little
>> bug ;)  I am working almost exclusively with gops now.
>>
>> Is there a log or a way I can maybe give you some more useful info
>> aside from my personal testimony?  Can anyone else verify this?
>>
>> Kevin
>> --
>>

>> ++++
>> http://pocketkm.blogspot.com
>>

> --
>

> ++++
> http://pocketkm.blogspot.com
> [...]

----

Looking at things from a more basic level, you can come up with a
more direct solution... It may sound small in theory, but it in
practice, it can change entire economies.     - Amy Smith