[PD] inconsistencies with lib names (was: representning classes and selectors in the wiki)

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun Sep 16 11:59:28 CEST 2007

Hallo,
Frank Barknecht hat gesagt: // Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Thomas O Fredericks hat gesagt: // Thomas O Fredericks wrote:
> > By building the pdmtl abstractions layer, users do not have to care about
> > namespaces anymore (anyways, I don't), as all externals/libraries are
> > treated as hidden code to the end user. I still believe that having
> > namespaces based on authors is a bad idea.
>
> Yes. And no, too.

Oops, forgot to explain why "yes and no". Namespaces based on
author/vendor solve nameclashes: "cxc_counter", "maxlib_counter",
"cyclone_counter". Namespaces based on functionality don't: Which one
of the three above should become "math/counter"?

I think, a STD-library of Pd objects should of course be based on
functional namespaces, while vendor-namespaces could be used to let
various independent vendors do their own thing without creating
conflicts with each other.

All an "editor in chief" would need to do is keep a list of which
vendor names are already taken. The "editor in chief" could then be a
simple Wiki page on puredata.info. Or not even that, if vendor
namespaces are based on things like DNS-names as plists in OS-X.

Ciao