[PD] GEM rendering

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Sep 17 16:49:55 CEST 2007

henrik wurster wrote:
> ok...what I meant was creating a video-movie. like a command to save a
> file, like "writesf* does for sound.
> I was not sure if it is possible with such fast open-gl stugg...

there are several ways to do this:
[pix_write] will capture the current screen and write it to an
image-file on disk (so you get a series of images which you then have to
assemble into a movie-file using your favourite non-realtime video app)
[pix_record] should be able to record the pixes into a movie on the fly.
you will have to do the conversion from the rendering-window into a pix
"by hand" (this is: via [pix_snap]); you can only use quicktime movies
at the moment; for some people it seems to be stable.

> In german we call this "rendering" and lots of programmes also call it

in austria, we refer to "the rasterization from high-level
representation into low-level data" as "rendering".
for instance, in the context of our spatialization engine, i use
"render" for the creation of loudspeaker-signals out of a semi-abstract
representation of sound-objects (input-signal + room information)

> rendering or for the "render settings" when you create a file out of
> your composition...

but the applications you are talking about are usually non-realtime.
that is why the "render" to a file per default. for realtime
applications (like Pd) it seems to be more natural to render into a
volatile medium (like a screen, a loudspeaker-feed,...)

mfga.sdr
IOhannes