[PD] inconsistencies with lib names (was: representning classes and selectors in the wiki)

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Sep 17 18:21:30 CEST 2007

Hallo,

> Call me an anarchist, but I believe that we can do it without an
> editor-in-chief.  It just takes some communication and mutual
> respect.  We've gotten this far with the whole Pd-extended collection
> without an editor-in-chief.

Unless one considers you to be the pd-extended editor-in-chief. ;)

An editor-in-chief wouldn't need to be a real person. A wiki page or a
textfile in cvs/svn would be enough plus some simple rules.
Registering a namespace name would be as simple as writing the name
one wants to use plus a contact in there.

Possible simple rules could be:

* announcements should go to pd-dev before registering.
* otherwise first come, first serve.
* everthing that starts with "NAME/" is reserved to the registered
  project.
* every class that is registered should always be used with "NAME/".

Additionaly rules could be:

* NAMES must start with letter or digit and be all lowercase.
* NAMES starting with an _underscore are for private use (and cannot
  be registered)

Only remaning issue would be that generic/functional names like "math"
or "std" or "pd" are tricky, because they might be needed for a real
std-namespace later. Vendor-based names like "footils" are easier in
this regard, but mnemonics are worse.

Ciao