[PD] pddp drafts

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Sep 18 06:31:49 CEST 2007

On Sep 16, 2007, at 6:10 PM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
> marius schebella hat gesagt: // marius schebella wrote:
>
>> otoh, I think pd-extended or any packged pd distro will always
>> include
>> these libraries. pddp is in some way a side product of pd-extended.
>
> But even then, shouldn't you use proper namespaces and [import]? ;)
> But even then, I don't think, pddp should be restricted to only work
> with pd-extended.

Sounds like a good idea.  I think that namespace prefixes are
probably the preferred option for the help patches because they
always give you the object you want, regardless of what is loaded and
how.  Plus they work on pd-vanilla and pd-extended.

>> I don't see why help patches should not make use of the "full" pd
>> resources.
>> what exactly are your points against relying on other libraries?
>
> I'm only against this for help-patches or templates for help-patches,
> as this is the central ressource to get info on how to use an object.
> Relying on externals "just for good looks" i.e. without any technical
> need breaks easy accessibility of documentation.

PDDP has been around for 5 years and miller has not included anything
from it.  Therefore, PDDP is not part of pd-vanilla.  In order to
make good help patches, we are going to have to use objects that are
not included in pd-vanilla.  Pd-extended is a common platform for
using externals, and Pd-extended fully embraces PDDP.  So I don't
think it's a problem to use some externals when they are useful.  For
example, [pddp/pddplink] is a standard object for PDDP help patches.
That said, people should try to use common solutions, and more often
than not, those involve using pd-vanilla constructs.

As for the stylesheets, I think the idea is quite cool, but that
seems to me to be a "version 2" feature.  I also played with a web-
style nav for help patches, but it turned out to be too complicated:

http://puredata.org/dev/pddp/pddp-drafts/template-10-grab.png

.hc