[PD] inconsistencies with lib names (was: representning classes

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Sep 19 10:03:56 CEST 2007

Hallo,
martin.peach at sympatico.ca hat gesagt: // martin.peach at sympatico.ca wrote:

> The first one found would be the right one.

I hereby would like to register the namespace "000" to be the right
one myself most of the time. ;)

> It's not pd's problem if there exist more than one file with the
> same name. Surely that's up to the creators of the files to sort
> out. The alternative of using paths for each and every object is a
> massive kludge that's going to fall on your head and crush you
> sooner or later, at least I can already feel it pushing me into the
> mud :(

If you'd like to come out of the mud, why not just do a "mv extra/*/*
extra/"?  Seriously: This would be exactly the same as a one-level
deep search, except that uninstalling single libs is a bit harder.

Personally I still have it that way and my externals all are directly
in extra, but I choose which ones/once are there myself. This doesn't
work for a general purpose distribution like pd-extended, though,
which on one hand wants to ship every version of counter and once, but
otoh also has to give users a choice, which version to load. With an
automatic deep-search this is impossible to achieve, as far as I see.

Ciao