[PD] inconsistencies with lib names (was: representning classes

B. Bogart ben at ekran.org
Wed Sep 19 17:43:04 CEST 2007

Hey all,

This is a nice idea, but the bottom line is that its too late for that.
People already depend on many old (first) funny externals like Markex
Counter, which is still in some of my older patches. Its the oldest
counter, so should it be the default? too bad its inlets are arranged
differently than its arguments. too late to fix that too.

PixelTANGO also depends on private externals in a subdirectory that
should not be available to the end user. (and not just because it
depends on memento either)

The libdirs are the solution to that problem, and it has already been
solved.

Maybe such a feature would be in PD devel or something for the power
users to build there own PD, but I'm moving more and more to pd-extended
even for installation stuff and especially now that there are nice debs
for it.

Throwing away the way extended works (and namespaces) to get some extra
drop an external somewhere solution does not make much sense to me.

As for MaxMSP, if you want to install an external in PD vanilla, just
put it in the extra folder, not in a subfolder!!!

How many files are in the Max "extra" (or whatever its called folder?) I
think Marius counter over 1200 externals in PD...

I don't see any goo reasons against the way the libdir design now (and
should in the future) work. So why not improve that then find more
awkward ways around the same problems?

Just my opinion,
.b.