[PD] Manual conversion of a Pure Data file in Max/MSP

marius schebella marius.schebella at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 14:14:02 CEST 2007

hey,
in many cases it is not relevant, which of two messages are sent first,
when they are not are not connected to hot inlets.

if you look at a patch and know what it does, you should be able to tell
which connection has to go first.

to really see which object connection was created first you can also
copy the related objects including their connections into a new empty
patch and open it then with a texteditor. the file will give you
something like
#N canvas 0 22 454 304 10;
#X obj 165 101 +;
#X floatatom 165 56 5 0 0 0 - - -;
#X connect 1 0 0 1;
#X connect 1 0 0 0;
ignore the first line. the second line is a [- ] ("minus") object, the
third a numberbox. then you have the connections: connect object #1,
outlet #0 to object #0, outlet #1. object 1 (the counting is 0-based) is
the numberbox, which was created after the [- ], so it appears after the
[- ] in the textfile. the last line then makes the other connection
(from the numberbox to the left inlet of [-])
of course this works for every number of objects and connection, but if
you have too many objects, counting can be difficult.
hans christoph also wrote a patch, that creates itself in another window
step by step, by reading its own pd-file. there you can watch the
creation and also look at the order in which the objects are connected.
that said, I only can repeat what posters said before, you _have_ to use
trigger, because this behaviour of first creation is not garantueed to
work in every situation, it might change with future versions of pd, or
when you convert to another fileformat (like max...), or whatever.
marius.