[PD] Opening a PD patch on Startup in OSX

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Sep 26 12:20:52 CEST 2007

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007, Max Neupert wrote:

> Am 23.09.2007 um 18:35 schrieb Greg Pond:
>> I havent encountered the problem that you have but I dont shutdown my
>> machines at night. Is there some reason you need to?
> what about saving some energy and our earth ;)
> or is that a no reason?

As soon as you start heating your house, saving energy on incandescent
lightbulbs and computers and monitors becomes rather futile: the energy
that you save on those still has to be spent on plain heating. The big
difference might be that e.g. you pay HydroQuébec instead of GazMétro, so
you generate less CO2 and pay a bit more (until the price of methane goes
up), but if your heating is all-electric there is no difference.

At this point in the year, though, it matters to me: air conditioner is
on, it's back to 30°C in Montréal. If you use air conditioning, heating
matters twice because not only it's generated but it also takes extra
energy to take it out of the house.

Energy saving ratings never take this into account, afaik.