[PD] fundamental hot/cold midi question

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Sep 26 20:55:53 CEST 2007

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007, marius schebella wrote:

> Derek Holzer wrote:
>> It can get especially confusing
>> when sends and receives get involved.
> the pd solution is not much better, you most of the times can not tell
> which receive will get a message first.

This depends on creation order of objects, that is, in which order they
appear in the patch file, or when you create them in the patch. If you
save and reload, you won't necessarily get the same order, if the multiple
receives involve any subpatch or abstraction.

I very much advise not to rely on any specific order, even when making
predictable patterns of dynamic patching, although pd probably won't
change its multiple-receive handler anytime soon. I think that the best
reason for this is because in a visual language you should be seeing all
of your code: all objects and all wires as they are and you shouldn't need
anything else (several GUI objects don't respect this rule though, but
it's not as bad as relying on creation order).