[PD] fundamental hot/cold midi question

Stephen Sinclair radarsat1 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 21:10:31 CEST 2007

> Why do you consider this a "fundamental problem" exactly?

Because there is information about the data-flow of the program that
is simply not represented by what you are seeing.  I consider that
pretty fundamental.

However, as I said, there is the [trigger] work-around, and that's
fine.  I don't personally like to require these extra objects however.
 (Of course they are quite useful sometimes, but I don't want to be
forced to use so many of them..)

I didn't mean to push people's buttons by making the faux pas of a
comparison with Max, but in this respect I do find that at least Max
has a deterministic way of showing what messages are going to send in
what order.  I consider this an improvement, but you certainly don't
have to.

It's also not necessarily the *best* way this problem could be solved,
because as others have suggested,  too much dependence on the
locations of objects creates its own issues.

Another solution might be to explicitly number the patch cords, for example.
Personally I just consider that if a program is represented
graphically, one should be able to take a look at this representation
and figure out how it works by inspection, without having to do any
testing.  If the patch makes use of multiple outs from an outlet, this
is simply not the case.

Steve