[PD] fundamental hot/cold midi question

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Sep 26 22:24:09 CEST 2007

Hallo,
Steffen hat gesagt: // Steffen wrote:

> On 26/09/2007, at 17.57, Stephen Sinclair wrote:
>
> > looking at an outlet with several lines
> > coming out of it, to determine what order they will trigger.
>
> I think the question, from Atte, was about the order in case of
> multiple outlets of an object. That is not about multiple lines/
> connections out of a single outlet.

But it's all connected! ;)

The generally right-to-left temperature agreement of hot and cold
inlets in objects has very deep consequences. Outlets generally fire
right to left *because* generally the cold inlets are are on the right
and they get hotter until you reach the hot inlet on the left.

Even the usual example of a reversed inlet-order, [timer], is reversed
*because* outlets of important other objects fire right to left,
namely [t b b] which gives the nice

 [t b b]
 |     |
 [timer]

idiom without crossing wires.

And connected to the problem of ordering is the problem of how to deal
with multiple cords leaving one outlet, that in Pd practically have
undefined order.

Another thing, people often forget is that they should take great care
to also make abstractions fire accordingly, usually right-to-left, and
also make them expect their inlet data in that order (or in another
order like [timer], but then deliberatly, not just because one didn't
think of the order).

Ciao