[PD] uvc class webcam and Gem, pdp, (v4l)

moritz w. erstens at gmx.ch
Thu Sep 27 16:07:15 CEST 2007

elo

i'm fiddling around with my new webcam, a creative optia af. I want to be able to run this camera under ubuntu feisty with gem and pdp. I had to make again a big research until i found this: http://linux-uvc.berlios.de/ .
Now the only application that can run this camera is luvcview. I cannot run right now my webcam with Gem nor Pdp nor xawtv and all other webcam applications.

Gem (from ubuntu-repo) gives me this error:

GEM: Graphics Environment for Multimedia
GEM: ver: 0.90
GEM: compiled: Feb 16 2007
GEM: maintained by IOhannes m zmoelnig
GEM: Authors :  Mark Danks (original version on irix/windows)
GEM:            Chris Clepper (macOS-X)
GEM:            Daniel Heckenberg (windows)
GEM:            James Tittle (macOS-X)
GEM:            IOhannes m zmoelnig (linux/windows)
video4linux
ieee1394 for linux
Direct Rendering enabled!
GEM: Start rendering
pix_videoNEW: starting transfer
cap: name UVC Camera (041e:4058) type 1 channels 1 maxw 1600 maxh 1200 minw 48 minh 32

picture: brightness 33825 depth 16 palette 8

VDIOCGCHAN: Invalid argument
closing video
pix_texture: not using client storage

Pdp gives me very the same error:

pdp_v4l: cap: name UVC Camera (041e:4058) type 1 channels 1 maxw 1600 maxh 1200 minw 48 minh 32
pdp_v4l: picture: brightness 33825 depth 16 palette 8
VDIOCGCHAN: Invalid argument
pdp_v4l: auto open failed
pdp_v4l: no device opened
pdp_v4l: attempting auto open