[PD] [PD-announce] [Studio XX] OFFRE D'EMPLOI : DIRECTRICE GÉNÉRALE :: JOB : GENERAL DIRECTOR

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Fri Sep 28 21:21:34 CEST 2007

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007, David Powers wrote:

> It's hard to miss the fact that there is a lot of animosity in mailing
> list environments... some of it accidental, but nevertheless real.

But I especially was thinking about those things that are difficult to
talk about because it's easy to read it as confrontation and animosity and
flamebait, and then when softening the tone, it reads like it's to be
taken lightly, as a joke that is nothing but a joke, or as something of
little concern or just drowned in political correctness. The middle ground
is often thin and sometimes absent.

> It's not only females that find such an approach distasteful

I don't believe that it's anywhere close to the main reason why they don't
write often. They don't write often because they don't get involved in
that kind of topics. In general they don't dive into pd.

> People who need information can get over that, however. What is most
> lacking, in my mind, is a more wholistic approach to dataflow
> programming, one that looks at aesthetic issues

Ok, you might be wanting to say "what it fits into" rather than "what it
is made of" or "how does it work" or "how do its pieces fit into
dataflow" ?

> ie. what contradictions arise when expressing the irrational via the
> rational???

I'm not following you. You would need to give some concrete examples.

> another one: how can coding practices take into account the body??? not
> just the performer's body, but the coder/programmer's body. and does it
> make any difference???

I do half of my coding standing up. It's better for keeping back muscles
in shape.

You probably mean something else, but I can't figure out what.