[PD] : PD sync with JACK (linux)

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun Sep 30 11:57:05 CEST 2007

Hallo,
Mysth-R hat gesagt: // Mysth-R wrote:

> In pd I just use a counter to generate a regular signal (bang)
> Is there a way to send or receive a signal that I could transform in bpm in

You can send any message with OSC like "/system/bpm 120" or
"/system/beat kaboom" or whatever. With midi, you could either simply
reserve a certain note on a certain channel for this, or define a
certain controller to be the "speed" or "bpm" controller. You could
even use an audio signal for synchronization, e.g. a click
signal or a [phasor~].

Anyway, on the Pd side you're totally free to use whatever as a
bpm/beat counter/trigger/controller. It's likely that the software on
the other end is more restrictive, so probably your Pd patch will need
to adapt to whatever Ardour, seq24 etc. are expecting to control their
tempo.

Ciao