[PD] linux - faster load first time

ild0012 at londonmet.ac.uk ild0012 at londonmet.ac.uk
Thu Oct 4 07:43:52 CEST 2007

On Wed, Oct 03, 2007 at 09:15:06AM -0700, Miller Puckette wrote:
> Hmm, now has anyone noticed that Pd (first time after booting) starts up
> progressively more slowly over the months you own a linux machine?  I'm
> suspicious that there's a correlation with how much software you have
> loaded on the machine.  Maybe having lots of shared libraries and programs
> to use them makes dynamic linking slower (see, e.g., 'man ldconfig').
>
> That's nothing but a guess.
>
> cheers
> Miller

i think this is not what is happening really..

i noticed a slowdown when i added a huge bunch of externals with
different paths to them.
so now i removed all and set the nessary once in one locations but with
subdirectories (by name, as appears in the cvs).
this seems to be fine ..

i think that ldconfig caches frequently used stuff in /etc/ld.conf.cache
but still keeps only file descriptors in the memory ..