[PD] gt~ and lt~ (similar to zexy <~, >~) and between~

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Oct 4 08:54:18 CEST 2007

Roman Haefeli wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-10-04 at 01:02 +0200, Derek Holzer wrote:
>> Hi Enrique,
>>
>> Enrique Erne wrote:
>>
>>> the <~ >~ seems to be pretty much standard, will they ever make it into
>>> pd-vanilla or is there a license issue?
>> Actually, on some systems there's an object name issue. I've seen many
>> cases on Windows, and some on OS X, where ">" and "<" cannot be used in
>> a filename, and therefore any object with those characters in the name
>> will not create.
>
> just for the record: it will not create in pd-extended (or with
> externals compiled in libdir format), but it will with externals as
> library.

it should well be working in pd-extended if you use [import zexy] and
then [>~].
however, it will not work with [zexy/>~].

it should also work with some versions of vanilla pd (if zexy is
compiled as single objects), but i don't know the exact version numbers
where this is supposed to work: probably >0.38 and <0.40 (or <0.41)
for  pd-vanilla >=0.41 (or 0.40) there is a loader external "hexloader"
which you have to load before being able to load these objects.

the hexloader (whether it is used as an external loader or as an
internal loader (in the mentioned special versions of Pd)), takes care
of the filesystems that do not support extended characters.

this has been discussed a lot but not so recently (because the issue is
basically solved) on this list.

i still have no idea how to solve a name [zexy/>~] in the hexloader (the
hexloader would allow an object to be named [////], but it doesn't
handle paths)

fm.asr
IOhannes