[PD] linux - faster load first time

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Fri Oct 5 06:48:39 CEST 2007

On Thu, Oct 04, 2007 at 12:51:32PM -0400, Kevin McCoy wrote:
> [...]

I know that whenever a Gnome based program is launched under a lighter
window manager like fluxbox, all kinds of weird background stuff happens
like the launch of gconfd (I guess so they can emulate the cpu-hogginess
and bugginess of the windows registry). Any one of those many activities
could be causing troubles.

I have not experienced the slowdown in Pd launch time myself. You can
get a better idea of what might be slowing it down by doing an strace
and looking for places where it blocks.

Best,

Chris.

PS for people who want a nice middle ground between fluxbox's
minimalism and gnome/kde's user friendly funcitonality, xfce4 comes
highly recommended. It's very light, very fast, and very configurable
(through menus, not text files).