[PD] [OT] Re: about sexism

Martin Peach martin.peach at sympatico.ca
Wed Oct 10 16:53:33 CEST 2007

Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

>On Wed, 10 Oct 2007, Chuckk Hubbard wrote:
>
>>It also seems to me that hacker culture uses lots of terms
>>tongue-in-cheek, and that a reference to Mongolian hordes may even be, in
>>some folks' minds, a jab at the Westerners who coined the term.
>
>Man. I just said. "Mongolian horde" is a term most likely coined by
>Mongolian hordes. The term has been adapted to fit many languages and
>eventually reached English.

Yes, 'nigger' is derived from a word meaning 'black', so where's the
problem? Words change their meaning over time. I would bet most english
speakers don't know the origin of 'horde' and just use it to denote 'a large
number of unpleasant entities', as in 'hordes of cockroaches'. 'Barbarian'
is another word that didn't mean anything bad at first...and 'windows' ;)

Martin