[PD] getting started with graphics

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Mon Oct 15 03:44:07 CEST 2007

On Mon, 2007-10-15 at 03:08 +0200, Atte André Jensen wrote:
> Hi
>
> I composed some dreamy, meditative electronica (http://modlys.dk) that
> I'm gonna take on tour with a small band (keys, bass, vocals and
> laptop/chuck). I'd like to have some visuals running on a projector, and
>   since I know pd can probably do this (and I already use pd), I'd like
> to get started with graphics in pd. However I no experience to speak of
> with graphics, so I'm very interested in some pointers.
>
> 1) Is there any videos that shows what can be done, just as an initial
> inspiration/moral booster?
>
> 2) Which of the graphics libraries should I look (what do they each do)
> and are there any tutorials available to get me started (from scratch)?

- Gem: http://gem.iem.at/ is a 3d library with a suite of video/image
processing objectclasses. all 3d (opengl-based) objectclasses are
rendered on the gpu, which saves you a lot of cpu-power.

- gridflow: http://gridflow.ca/ is a video library, that deals with
matrices (in gridflow called 'grids' and represented as '#')

- pdp/pidip: http://zwizwa.fartit.com/pd/pdp/overview.html /
http://ydegoyon.free.fr/pidip.html are  extensions with many
objectclasses for realtime video processing (similar to Gem's pix_*
objectclasses).

- even pd itself can deal with graphics somehow, if datastructures count
as 'graphics' (i am just in the process of working myself through franks
tutorial. frank: i wouldn't see a chance in understanding ds without
your tut. many thanks!!).

what is suitable for you, is heavily dependent on how you work and what
you are trying to achieve. my impression is (i can be wrong of course),
that most people work with gem. for my part, i decide from project to
project, whether i am going to use Gem or gridflow. i haven't done much
pdp/pidip yet.

roman