[PD] a general discussion about which software to learn: pd, max, both... or else?

marius schebella marius.schebella at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 06:59:45 CEST 2007

Hi David,
It depends very much on what you want to do with the program and what
the people around you know and use. My first reflex was to write max is
the better solution because it hase more users and better support. but I
think max is not so reliable and known to crash sometimes and a lot of
people in theatre and stage situations don't want to use it. (well, pd
can crash too).
max has a nicer interface. if you want to look into the sourcecode then
you have to use Pd.
I think you should start with Pd, it is similar to max and if you ever
think you miss something, then you can change to max later. I switched
between both programs, but now I am back to Pd.
m.