[PD] a general discussion about which software to learn: pd, max, both... or else?

Si Mills smills at rootsix.net
Mon Oct 15 14:58:20 CEST 2007

I came to Pd from SuperCollider. SC is very powerful and can sound
amazing. Its power lies in the fact it is a object orientated
language - if you want 500 oscillators you can just change a
variable, rather than having to patch it by hand. I found I could do
algorithmic stuff very easily as the system lended itself to do this..

What it is not imo, is user friendly, which is why I picked up Pd.
It became a headache when i wanted to use a gui to construct a
sequencer of something....that in itself requires a different mind
set to lay it out. Pd or Max is fairly intuitive in this regard and
thus quicker to knock up new ideas. I guess I lost patience with it
because i would reach a brick wall and not finish ideas which is very
unconstructive. It was more- time head buried in documentation and
not enough results..I felt life was too short!! (sorry). Also not
coming from a programming background i guess didn't help/

I f there was a bridge for SC like the csound one, that would be very
nice. Using Pd for data structure and using some of SCs ugens..