[PD] Convert .wmv or .asf to .mov (jpeg)

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Mon Oct 15 19:17:41 CEST 2007

On Mon, 2007-10-15 at 18:51 +0200, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> Roman Haefeli wrote:
> > On Mon, 2007-10-15 at 17:55 +0200, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> >> hi.

> >> is it just my mail-client...?
> >
> > what do you mean?
>
> it just looks weird on my reader (with all the spaces between levels of
> citations)
> but nevermind

no, it seems to be not only your client, it looked the same here.

> >> wow, you are using a very old mencoder installations.
> >
> > yes and no, it is indeed a very old version of mencoder, but still the
> > most recent one, that is available as a binary. you also find _very_ old
> > binaries in many distros.
>
> i see.
> debian testing/unstable (which i am using), has mencoder svn-4.2.1
> since debian is considered by many people as "the distro with the
> outdated packages" i tend to think that everything that is older than
> the debian-packages is "very old".
>

> > actually, it is not more than a few weeks, probably months ago, since
> > -lavfopts was fixed and the option 'i_certify...' disappeared, so this
> > is not a sign, that a _very_ old version is used here.
> >
> > however, compiling mplayer from svn-sources is highly recommended,
> > because bugs usually get fixed quite quickly and more recent version can
> > be considered to be even more stable than old ones.
>
> hmm, what i don't understand: you haven't mentioned the i_certify_ flag,
> it was just the error javier got.

i'm not sure, if i understand your question. 'i_certify_...' was a flag,
that had to be used with old versions, i mean it was mandatory when
streaming into something different than the avi-container. with new
versions, this flag doesn't exist anymore and therefor causes an error
when used. since i am used to use a fresh svn-checkout, i didn't use the
flag in my first mail, but i added it in the second post (that i
accidently first sent only to javier instead to the list).

> >> yves has just recently posted the commandline to use such an old
> >> mencoder. search the list archives for
> >> "i_certify_that_my_video_stream_does_not_use_b_frames"
> >>
> >> or update your ffmpeg installation (which version of ubuntu do you use?)
> >
> > debian etch: 1.0~rc1
> > ubuntu dapper: 1.0pre7try2
> > (don't know about more recent ubuntusm though)
> >

> the question was directed to javier rather than you.
> sorry for the confusion

you didn't confuse me, i just thought, i take the chance to show, which
versions are delivered with the distros i know. sorry for the
confusion ;-)

roman