[PD] advise on making mjpeg, pdp and libquicktime happy

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Oct 17 03:52:31 CEST 2007

Try the included MJPEG movie and see if that works, it's in /usr/
local/lib/pd/doc/media/midr-mjpeg.mov.

IIRC, libquicktime doesn't like all kinds of MJPEG, only certain kinds.

.hc

On Oct 16, 2007, at 9:41 PM, danja vasiliev wrote:

> i compiled libquicktime myself just to make sure the issue is not
> in the
> .deb version of it, however there was no change. now i'm back to
> everything from ubuntu repos but result is just the same...
> i was using
> http://autobuild.puredata.info/auto-build/latest/Pd-0.40.3-
> extended-20071016-ubuntu-feisty-i386.deb
>
> just reinstalled with
> http://autobuild.puredata.info/auto-build/2007-10-16/Pd-0.39.3-
> extended-ubuntu-feisty-i386.deb
>
> and get the same
> pdp_qt: WARNING: unsupported video codec
>
> three feisty boxes i have around having same symptoms. i will try
> clean
> ubuntu install just to eliminate any other noise...
>
> thanks,
> danja
>
> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>
>> I am curious why you are compiling libquicktime yourself?  If you use
>> the .deb package, it should install everything you need, including
>> libquicktime:
>>
>> http://autobuild.puredata.info/auto-build/2007-10-16/Pd-0.39.3-
>> extended-ubuntu-feisty-i386.deb
>>

>> Its working well for me on my Ubuntu Feisty box.
>>
>> .hc
>>
>> On Oct 16, 2007, at 9:06 PM, danja vasiliev wrote:
>>
>>> im running ubuntu feisty 7.04, libquicktime plugins are in standard
>>> location:
>>>
>>> danja at t43:~$ cat /etc/debian_version
>>> 4.0
>>>
>>> danja at t43:~$ ls /usr/local/lib/libquicktime/
>>> lqt_audiocodec.la  lqt_faac.la   lqt_ffmpeg.la  lqt_mjpeg.la
>>> lqt_png.la     lqt_videocodec.la
>>> lqt_audiocodec.so  lqt_faac.so   lqt_ffmpeg.so  lqt_mjpeg.so
>>> lqt_png.so     lqt_videocodec.so
>>> lqt_dv.la          lqt_faad2.la  lqt_lame.la    lqt_opendivx.la
>>> lqt_rtjpeg.la  lqt_vorbis.la
>>> lqt_dv.so          lqt_faad2.so  lqt_lame.so    lqt_opendivx.so
>>> lqt_rtjpeg.so  lqt_vorbis.so
>>>
>>> so i just did this and noting has changed...
>>>
>>> danja at t43:~$ export LIBQUICKTIME_PLUGIN_DIR=/usr/local/lib/
>>> libquicktime
>>> danja at t43:~$ pd
>>> tk scaling is 1.22249724972
>>> quicktime_delete_vcodec_stub called
>>>
>>> the last line is what PD spits out when i try opening my mjpeg.
>>> mjpeg i make using MEncoder 2:1.0~rc1-0ubuntu9.1
>>> like this:
>>> for i in $( ls ); do mencoder mf://$i/*.jpg -mf fps=6 -o $i.avi -ovc
>>> lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mjpeg; done
>>>
>>> where else to look?
>>>
>>> danja

> --
>     _|_       danja vasiliev
>  ---(*)---    http://k0a1a.net/recent
>    " ' "      +31-64-2654486
> --

----

'You people have such restrictive dress for women,’ she said,
hobbling away in three inch heels and panty hose to finish out
another pink-collar temp pool day.  - “Hijab Scene #2", by Mohja Kahf