[PD] many paths, how

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Oct 17 18:06:38 CEST 2007

On Oct 17, 2007, at 6:14 AM, Enrique Erne wrote:

> On Wed Oct 17  0:08 , Frank Barknecht  sent:
>
>> Hallo,
>> Atte André Jensen hat gesagt: // Atte André Jensen wrote:
>>
>>> My paths section in my preferences is full, and I need to ad
>>> another.
>>> remember there was some discussion recently about how to add
>>> more, but I
>>> can't seem to find it. Could anyone refresh my memory?
>>
>> Hm, this gets asked (and answered) once every 1.5 weeks. What can we
>> do about it?
>
> maybe a little help or hint link inside the preference dialogue
> that points to
> http://puredata.info/docs/tutorials/TipsAndTricks#add-more-entries-
> to-the-path-and-library-dialogs
>
> would help a lot.
>
> any tcl/tk heroes around?

It would be much better to actually create a preferences pane that
can handle more than 10 items.  If someone handles building the GUI,
I'll help make it work in Pd.  If you've done any kind of GUI
building, then it's quite straightforward.  You don't really have to
know Tcl at all.

http://pure-data.cvs.sourceforge.net/pure-data/pd/src/u_main.tk?
view=markup

At line 4124, you'll see proc pdtk_path_dialog {id extrapath
verbose}, that's the function that draws the preference pane.  "wm"
is the sets the window properties, "frame" is a frame for GUI
elements, like Swing or any other GUI toolkit, "pack" gathers
together the elements into a unit.  "button" is a button,
"checkbutton" is a checkbox, "entry" is a textfield, etc.

You can edit that file in your Pd install (/usr/local/lib/pd/bin/
pd.tk, /Applications/Pd-extended.app/Contents/Resources/bin/pd.tk, or
C:\Program Files\pd\bin\pd.tk)

.hc