[PD] [OT] Re: about sexism is TERMINATE THREAD PLEASE

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Oct 17 22:33:26 CEST 2007

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> So in the hopes of sharing Pd, I hope we can keep that in mind when
> posting. I know I learned a lesson when I said "hey guys" on this list
> in the past. In California (where I grew up), men and women, feminists
> and not, commonly use "hey guys" to mean all people, not just males.
> Others read that as "hey men", which is certainly not what I meant to
> say...

In English you have it easy.

In French there are the feminists who want profession names be
gender-specific like "programmeur" vs "programmeuse", because making it
only "programmeur" would imply inherent maleness, and there are those who
want it to be always written like "programmeur" because having two
different forms emphasises gender instead of hiding it.

(I believe that this divide is geographical, with Atlantic being the
dividing "line", but I'm not sure)