[PD] another basic pd question/creation arguments in abstraction

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Thu Oct 18 03:20:16 CEST 2007

On Thu, 2007-10-18 at 02:44 +0200, Atte André Jensen wrote:
> Hi
>
> Still a lot to learn...
>
> With the attached patch as an example, how do I make it possible to use
> the numbers 2000, 4000 and 5200 a creations arguments, but still use the
> said numbers as defaults, should no arguments be supplied?
>
> Confused at a very basic level, unfortunately :-)
>
> I seem to get most of the other stuff with pd, esp the audio part, but
> I'm always messing up when it comes to creation arguments in
> abstractions. What would be required read-up (besides the
> *dollarsign*.pd files under doc/2.control.examples) that'll allow me to
> grasp this aspect?

there is no mechanism in pd, that allows you to check, whether a certain
argument for an abstraction was specified or not. when a certain
argument is not given, pd just assumes '0'. if '0' is not part of your
intended argument range, you can check in your abstraction, if the
argument is '0' and assume, when it is '0', that it was not specified.

[loadbang]

[list $1] <- allows both, symbols and floats

[sel 0]
|     |
[53 ] |  <- your default value (could also be a symbol)
|    /
|   /
|  /
| /