[PD] many paths, how

Jamie Bullock jamie at postlude.co.uk
Thu Oct 18 10:12:30 CEST 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-17 at 00:08 +0200, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
> Atte André Jensen hat gesagt: // Atte André Jensen wrote:
>
> > My paths section in my preferences is full, and I need to ad another.
> > remember there was some discussion recently about how to add more, but I
> > can't seem to find it. Could anyone refresh my memory?
>
> Hm, this gets asked (and answered) once every 1.5 weeks. What can we
> do about it?

It is also one of the most frequent questions I get asked when I
introduce new users to PD. Personally I think the entire 'search paths'
window is badly designed. I have a few ideas about how it might be
improved:

1/ 'Save all settings' and 'Apply' should be removed.

2/ The path list should have a dynamically generated scrollbar, so that
when the list exceeds a certain length (10), the scrollbar appears and
the user can view the additional paths by scrolling up/down.

3/ It should not be possible to type directly into the path list, only
select a list element or group of elements (paths).

4/ Two new buttons should be added directly underneath the path list:
'Add' and 'Remove'.

5/ 'Add' opens a new dialog ('Select path...') whereby the user can
either enter a path or navigate to it using a filesystem browser widget.
Once the path has been entered (or selected), clicking 'OK' adds the
path to the path list and closes the 'Select path...' dialogue.

6/ Clicking 'Remove' in the main 'path list' window will remove the
currently selected item(s) from the path list.

7/ Clicking 'OK' will commit changes to disk, apply them for the current
session and close the window.

8/ Clicking 'Cancel' will discard the changes and close the window.

Just a few thoughts. If anyone else thinks this is a good idea, I would
happily put a feature request on the tracker.

best,

Jamie

--
www.postlude.co.uk