[PD] Calling a canvas names [was: Re: syntax of Pd files]

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu Oct 18 12:37:17 CEST 2007

Hallo,
Frank Barknecht hat gesagt: // Frank Barknecht wrote:

> As I see it, the only purpose of [namecanvas] is to allow sending
> messages to an instance of an abstraction and generally these messages
> involve some kind of dynamic editing. Building a network of objects on
> a canvas often is easier to make when starting from scratch with an
> empty canvas (because of connection numbering etc.). But you cannot
> clear the canvas when using [namecanvas]!

Actually it occured to me that this is a silly argument, which I could
only bring up, because I'm living proof that creating non-trivial Pd
patches for 6 years is possible without ever using namecanvas once.

It's silly, because of course one would normally not want to clear the
main canvas of an abstraction altogether as that would also clear the
logic to fill the canvas again, and this logic generally would be in
the abstraction itself.

> This restriction leads to really ugly workarounds.

Second silly argument: dynamically patching an abstracion instance
would still be ugly even when namcanvas was a property, as you'd still
need to keep track of how many objects your logic (see above) contains
and you would not be allowed to change it.

Ciao