[PD] [-SPAM-] Re: many paths, how

Jamie Bullock jamie at postlude.co.uk
Thu Oct 18 12:54:39 CEST 2007

On Thu, 2007-10-18 at 10:29 +0200, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> Jamie Bullock wrote:
> >
> > It is also one of the most frequent questions I get asked when I
> > introduce new users to PD.
>
> interestingly enough i never have been asked this.
> most likely it is not the initial design that a lot of paths are to be
> added.
Thinking about it, the people who ask this have generally come from
Max/MSP, so not necessarily complete newbies.

> what i am dearly missing in your design is:
>
> 9) buttons to re-order the paths
> (since you cannot add change the paths directly, and i think it is very
> re-order paths in a way that involves opening several windows)
> in my work-cycle, path-order is a crucial thing when it comes to getting
> the "right" object.
I agree - there should be some easy way to do this. IMO, the nicest
thing would be for each path to have an anchor, which when clicked,
rather than selecting the path, enables the path to be dragged up and
down the list. I'm not sure how feasible this is in Tk though. Perhaps a
pair of 'up-down' buttons adjacent to each path would be easier to
implement:

^

Clicking the top button moves the path up the list. Clicking the bottom
one moves it down.

> 10) unify the path and startup dialogs into one single (possibly
> multi-tab) dialog.
I completely agree. I forgot about the startup dialog!

Jamie

--
www.postlude.co.uk