[PD] pdpedia classifications

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Oct 18 15:51:30 CEST 2007

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> On Oct 18, 2007, at 3:52 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>
>> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deprecated
>>> "deprecated" is a status that the author gives to code to say that
>>> there is a better version available which should be used instead.
>>> It's not a mark of whether something works or not.
>>
>> exactly my thinking.
>>
>> however, you suggested the use of the "deprecated" flag to nicolas
>> request about "designed for pd 0.33 or to compile with an old gcc".
>> in my understanding, these are things that do not make an object
>> "deprecated", and it seems like in your understanding too (or not?)
>
> I read it as something that used to work but not longer does with newer
> version. That would either be deprecated or abandoned.

hmm, i still don't understand it (not that i want this thread to become
to long; it probably isn't that interesting at all).

but: "It's not a mark of whether something works or not" (quoting your
email 2007-10-17 19:14) and "something that used to work but not longer
does with newer version" (quoting your email 2007-10-18 15:40) is - at
least for me - mutually exclusive.

quoting the wikipedia-article you mentioned:
"The deprecated feature still works in the current version of the
software" is also in plain contradiction to your today's quote.

for me an example of a "deprecated" external is "OSCx"; but of course
this is a bit problematic, since i think that only the person in charge
of a piece of software can actually "deprecate" it.
i haven't heard from jdl in a long time...

mfa.sdr
IOhannes