[PD] [OT] Re: about sexism is TERMINATE THREAD PLEASE

Kevin McCoy km.takewithyou at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 17:02:07 CEST 2007

> Equality is equality, and doesn't need another name.  If a man is treated
> badly for his gender, does he have less right to justice because he is a
> member of a group less often treated badly?  Maybe not in theory, but in
> many people's actions, yes.  I believe in equal rights, but I don't believe
> that is accomplished by focusing on one group of people.

Chuckk, while I can sympathize with this, I would also suggest that the goal
of many feminists is not equality in the limited sense of "we get the same
things as men."  I hope that you don't take this as any kind of attack,
because certainly this is not a reflection on you, but I am almost a little
bored by that idea.  After a certain point, doesn't the question become -
how long will we keep chasing and catching up with men?

In my opinion (as a man though), the more interesting varieties of feminism
also encompass a celebration (or expansion) of femininity.  The "feminine"
does not have to be a static, rigid entity either - see Donna Harraway's "A
Cyborg Manifesto", or feminist responses to Deleuze/Guattari's "rhizome".
Economic justice does require some attention to the idea of equality, but it
must an equality that is aware of difference, never turning a blind eye to
it.. otherwise, how to address inequality?  By turning back to some abstract
enlightenment ideal, or by attending to the differences?

Also I am not a computer science type either (as much as I often wish I was,
my degree is in art, so we are related in the $0 market), but I've been on
an interesting ride so far in large part because of pd and this
list/community, for which I am very grateful.  You can tell by my ridiculous
newbie questions from last summer :)

Also I found the mistake over Patrice really beautiful.
km