[PD] pd to webpage

Martin Peach martin.peach at sympatico.ca
Thu Oct 18 17:04:22 CEST 2007

Thomas O Fredericks wrote:

>What is the difference between [str] and [any2string]?

I don't know. I can't find the help file for [any2string] so I don't know
how to use it. Maybe I have to look at the source code?

>If I understand correctly str is a wrapper for standard string functions
>and
>it's output is a pointer to a string.

More or less true. There are also functions to output the string as bytes or
symbols.

>I believe this approach is more limited that using any2string because all
>basic string functions can be recreated once a symbol is converted to a
>series of bytes. For example, to split a string along a space character you
>can use [list split 32], but with the [str] architecture, you need to use
>[str csplit 32].

That's one more character to type ;)
If the web page patch could be done with [any2string] and [list] then sure.
When I did the string stuff I was not aware of any other way of manipulating
arbitrary lists of bytes. Pd tries to interpret anything you type and some
characters don't get through unmangled. Even with the [str] object you have
to specify them by ascii code.

Martin